Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)
Дата
Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)  (Dale Gallagher <dale.gallagher@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Dale Gallagher <dale.gallagher@gmail.com> writes:
> On 31 May 2010 13:10, Dale Gallagher <dale.gallagher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am now using strace on postgres startup and watching the filesystem
>> during the creation of the database. So far, it seems that files in
>> PGHOME/base/1234/ are appearing, but VERY slowly. Thus far it's taken
>> 7 minutes and 92 files have been created. The command has not
>> completed within psql....
>>
>> Could this be a filesystem corruption issue? The host is using ext4.

> The command finally completed. It took a VERY long time. Something is
> wrong, but I have no clue what.

Seems like you must have a kernel/filesystem issue, but I don't know
what either.  CREATE DATABASE just copies the contents of template1
using some absolutely straightforward code (look into src/port/copydir.c)
so it's entirely filesystem-limited.

You could try tracing the backend that's doing the command with
"strace -r -p <pid>" to try to get an idea of which system calls
are eating all the time.

Сообщение: Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)
Сообщение: Re: Strange behaviour: create database hangs (v 8.4.4)