Re: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:
>> Further, since TRUNCATE permanently and instantly deletes mass amounts
>> of data, I would hope that it would provide "safety" by default, but
>> only truncating one table unless I specify otherwise.

The reason it works like that is that the SQL standard says so :-(
There was considerable angst about this when we made TRUNCATE recurse
to children, IIRC, but we decided we had to make it work that way.