Re: $foo $bar is BAD

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: $foo $bar is BAD
Дата
Список pgsql-general

+1

We should be "open" to include various languages, dialect & colloquialisms in documentation... the measure is whether the meaning is clear - foobar has a long history, as do foo & bar, in the communication of ideas.

That would mean no jargon, abbreviations, humour, sarcasm, acronyms, etc...

If we refused to use any words which had a historical connotation than might offend someone, we might as well forget about documentation altogether.

Brent Wood

Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
+64-4-386-0529 | 301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington | www.niwa.co.nz
NIWA
To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on NIWA's IT systems.
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org <pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org> on behalf of Peter Devoy <peter@3xe.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:00 PM
To: Psql_General (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] $foo $bar is BAD

> Although people commonly use $foo $bar in examples, it is actually a misuse of a VERY rude acronym.

> The next time you need to make an example, please try being a little more original (or meaningful) with your variable names.

In light of recent CoC decisions, I would like to propose the
opposite.  I think more expletives would
diversify the language of the documentation and lower the barriers to
contribution by individuals more
dispositioned to use colourful language due to their cultural and/or
socioeconomic background. O:-)