Re: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types
Дата
Re: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types  (Evan Martin <postgresql@realityexists.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Sergey Konoplev escribi�:

>>> I understand the POV of both Evan and you here. However, I think that
>>> there might be a good solution for this particular case - to allow
>>> dropping functions by name only if it has the only signature, but if
>>> there are 2 or more signatures then print an error specifying all the
>>> forms of the function, eg.:
>>>
>>> ERROR: Can not drop function 'foo' because it has more then one
>>> signature: foo(integer), foo(text).

>> But that doesn't solve Evan's request.  He would want both functions
>> gone, not an error.

> I was writing about some kind of a compromise.

My point was precisely that a compromise would satisfy nobody.  There
would be a few cases for which it was Exactly The Right Thing, and many
more for which you'd still need to learn how to do the EXECUTE trick.

I wonder whether we shouldn't address this by adding a few examples
of that type of trick to the docs.  Not sure where, though ...

Сообщение: Re: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types
Сообщение: Re: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types