Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Michael Widenius
Тема Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-general

The> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Michael Widenius wrote:
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> <cut>
>>
The> What I'd love to see is a common set of data to work from, and table
The> structures...then come up with, again, a common set of "results expected",
The> from the database.  Then, let the MySQL guys provide their query for the
The> results, and let the PostgreSQL guys come up with theirs, and compare
The> *that*.  Don't compare how to get the results the fastest through MySQL,
The> and then how the same query stands up under PostgreSQL...let us give them
The> how to get it fastest from PostgreSQL...
>>
>> I have posted many messages to Postgresql developers about getting
>> benchmark that shows where PosgreSQL is good, but I haven't found
>> anyone that is interested in spending time on this!  I have got the
>> definite feeling that the postgreSQL developers are not interested in
>> working on benchmarks!

The> Who have you posted this as, and to what mailing lists?  At this time, I
The> don't recall ever seeing you post something, but it may have been that I
The> was so busy that it slip'd me by...

Most post has gone through 'luuk@wxs.nl', as I hasn't subscribed to
the postgreSQL mailing list.  Some other discussions have been
directly with some postgreSQL developers.

The> Our experiences *up until this past week* was that any time we tried to
The> get somethign fixed, it was met with resistence, so we just said to hell
The> with it...

I remember some request that said 'this can't be true, FIX IT'.  We
tried repeatedly to get patches, as we don't know why postgreSQL
failed for things where it shouldn't, but we never got anything.

We have tried to fixed most things that has come up (Thanks to luuk
for this!), but we have refused to fix some things where
a SQL server doesn't work according to the ANSI SQL standard.
(MySQL does also a lot of things that is not strictly ANSI SQL and we

The> Obviously, there has been some mis-communications going on here...

I agree.  Hope we have this sorted out now!

Anyway, if you find something wrong, please check this up yourself and
submit a patch!  This will help us fix things happen much more rapidly!

Also, if you think we have missed some tests in crash-me, please add
them!  There must be some interesting limit that we have missed!

Regards,
Monty