Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Michael Widenius
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stealthgeeks.net> writes:

Patrick> On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Scott Perkins wrote:
>> You make a good point about available admin and other facilities etc.
>>
>> I am interested in some of the forum functionalities that seem to be "off the
>> shelf" with Mysql but I have not done my homework yet with PostgreSQL.  There
>> must me some good reasons why PostgreSQL beat out
>> Mysql for product of the year  or best database or most popular among
>> NIX/NUX users or something recently.

<cut>

Patrick> Don't forget sub-selects, views, row-level locking, stored procedures,
Patrick> triggers, foreign keys, cascading updates/deletes, and probably a couple
Patrick> other things that escape me at the moment.

Patrick> MySQL is great for what it is: a small, exceedingly fast, easy to
Patrick> administer, stable SQL-server for enviroments where the majority of access
Patrick> consist of text reads (like a lot of web sites).

Patrick is right; MySQL still lacks some 'heavy' features, but he
forgot to mention that PostgreSQL lacks a lot of ANSI SQL and ODBC
features that MySQL supports.  MySQL has also some very useful (even
if they are nonstandard) features like LOAD DATA INFILE, REPLACE ,
CREATE TABLE from a SELECT, in memory tables...) that postgreSQL
doesn't support.

You can find a comparison that should include all major points at:

http://www.mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy

Regards,
Monty