Re: redhat Ent3 et postegresql v7.4.3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: redhat Ent3 et postegresql v7.4.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:
> MPaule Torre wrote:
>> I have a red hat ent.3 operationg system. It has been delivered with
>> postgresql v7.3.6-1

> I'd like to know why RH still deliver 7.3.x after almost one year
> with the 7.4 around.

Because their policy is "no breakage for the lifetime of this product".
RHEL3 will ship with PG 7.3.something for its support lifetime.  (Heck,
I'm going to have to fix PG 7.1 for RHAS 2.1 :-(.)  If we (PG) had a
transparent update capability across major versions, maybe there would
be some wiggle room, but we don't.  I don't get to force RHEL3 customers
through a dump/initdb/reload cycle, no matter how much I'd like to.

Fedora is up to speed with our latest release, but that's a totally
different distribution made with different goals in mind.

            regards, tom lane
            Red Hat Database project