Re: Planner is ignoring index when view is queried but uses index when running underlying view's sql

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Planner is ignoring index when view is queried but uses index when running underlying view's sql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Max Kremer <mkremer@trialfire.com> writes:
> I've encountered a very strange result when using a view in a query VS the
> underlying sql of the view. When accessing the view I get a different query
> plan than running the sql that makes up the view. Using the view is 10x
> slower and generates a strange query plan that seems to ignore
> the existence of an index.

I believe the problem is that the WITH attached to the view's SELECT
prevents the view sub-select from being flattened into the outer query
(ie, this is another way in which WITH acts as an optimization fence).
So the sub-select is planned without awareness of the ORDER BY/LIMIT
that would encourage picking a suitably ordered join plan.

Try writing the CTE as a plain sub-select, instead.

(AFAIR, this behavior just stems from a lack of round tuits and not
any fundamental difficulty: the WITHs could perfectly well be hoisted
up to the outer query.  But don't hold your breath waiting for that
to happen.)

(BTW, what PG version is that?)