Copy command Faster than original select

I made complex select using PGAdmin III Query Editor, Postgre server 9.3

select ... from mytable join .. join ... order by ....

I get [Total query runtime: 8841 ms. 43602 rows retrieved.]

but when I use

copy ([same above select]) to '/x.txt'
I get [Query returned successfully: 43602 rows affected, 683 ms execution
time.]

these test made on the same machine as the postgresql server.

can anyone explain huge difference in executing time?

best regards all