Re: questions about porting postgresql to older operating system

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: questions about porting postgresql to older operating system
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tim Kelly <gtkelly@dialectronics.com> writes:
> 1) Starting with gmake, what specific functionality is required that can
> not be duplicated with manually crafting Makefiles?

We've never worried about building with non-GNU make.  If you really want
to translate all of the Makefiles to old-style make syntax, it might be
possible, but it sure seems like a lot of make-work (pun intended).

> 2a) Can postgresql run without pthread support?

Definitely; we still have at least one buildfarm animal without that.

> 3) Can postgresql still work without dynamic loading support?

mmm ... in principle yes, but you'll lose one heck of a lot of
functionality that's implemented in extension modules.  Possibly
that could be worked around by deciding which extensions you need
and statically binding them into the backend executable.  Again,
that's not a case we've worried about for the last twenty years
or so, so there's likely to be some pain there.