Re: [BUGS] *.sql contrib files contain unresolvable MODULE_PATHNAME

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] *.sql contrib files contain unresolvable MODULE_PATHNAME
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 12.10.2011 18:20, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, it can't be a comment, but what about a real psql command?
>> See my suggestion of using \echo.

> Frankly I think a comment is sufficient. We can make it more complicated
> later if people are still confused.

The thing is that this will be the third time we've gone back to try to
make it more apparent that you should use CREATE EXTENSION, and I no
longer believe that mere documentation is really going to get the job
done.  Putting in a comment will only stop the bug reports from people
who bother to examine the script contents before filing a report, but
the kind of folks who don't read the release notes probably won't do
that either.  In fact, if we just put in a comment, I confidently
predict we'll be coming back to revisit this issue again in future.

The only thing the \echo approach will cost us is a few more lines of C
code in execute_extension_script(), and I think it's more than worth
that given the evident scope of the problem.