Re: Very Very Slow Database Restore

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Very Very Slow Database Restore
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Joseph McClintock <joe.mcclintock@antics.com> writes:
> Now our database has grown and the pg_dump give me a 2.1 GB file which
> is taking 12 hours or more to restore, Yickes! I've tried compressing
> the dump file:

Compressing the dump file will make the restore slower, most likely,
because of the extra CPU effort to decompress.  It certainly won't
create any great savings.

> The database configuration is pretty much out of the box.

You probably want to increase maintenance_work_mem (to speed index
creation) and checkpoint_segments (general rule for any update-intensive
situation) ... and for 8.0 you'd maybe need larger shared_buffers etc.
The postgresql techdocs website has lots of general advice about
parameter settings --- the only thing specific to restore is you
want high maintenance_work_mem.