Re: Built-in binning functions

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Built-in binning functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote
> width_bucket() seems to refer to an equal-width binning process. The
> function being discussed here is a generic mechanism, the boundaries
> of which could have been decided using equal-frequency or other
> mechanisms. Using the word "width" in those contexts could be
> confusing.
>
> Given width_bucket() is already in use for SQL Standard function, I
> agree it would be confusing to have same name for different parameter
> profiles.

literal_bucket(float8, float8[])

Since "bucket" is the 'verb' here (in this specific case meaning "lookup the
supplied value in the supplied bucket definition") and "width" is a modifier
(the bucket specification describes an equal-width structure) I suggest
"literal_bucket(val, array[])" such that the bucket is still the verb but
now the modifier describes a structure that is literally provided.

David J.