Re: BUG #11121: Error not properly reported when calling PQputCopyData with a column missing

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #11121: Error not properly reported when calling PQputCopyData with a column missing
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
menotyou wrote

> Bug reference:      11121
> Logged by:          Jay Carlson
> Email address:

> menotyou@

> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.4
> Operating system:   Windows 7 (64 Bit)
>
> The short version: After successfully calling calling PQexec to COPY_IN
> from
> STDIN, I noticed calling PQputCopyData with a buffer that does not contain
> all of the required columns and an incorrectly formatted column, an error
> is
> not generated and PQputCopyEnd will not leave PGRES_COPY_IN mode.  An
> error
> for this situation is only ennunciated after PQputCopyData is called again
> AFTER calling PQputCopyEnd.
>
> THE DETAILS:
> Here is the format of the status_data table:
> ++ test_id: integer
> ++ device_id: integer
> ++ time_stamp: timestamp with time zone
> ++ mem_map_detail_id: integer
> ++ value: text
>
> First I'm successfully calling PQexec with "COPY status_data (test_id,
> device_id, time_stamp, mem_map_detail_id, value) FROM STDIN"
>
> ----------------------------------
> PQputCopyData 1: (No error expected)
> If I call PQputCopyData with the following the result is 1 (Success):
> "1\t3\t07/25/2014\t48811\tHey1\n"
>
> At this point after calling PQgetResult:
> PQresultStatus returns 4 (PGRES_COPY_IN)
> PQerrorMessage returns no error.
>
> ----------------------------------
> PQputCopyData 2: (Expected Error)
> If I call PQputCopyData with the following (missing the tab before
> "Hey2"),
> the result is 1 (Success):
> "1\t3\t07/25/2014\t48811Hey2\n"
>
> At this point after calling PQgetResult:
> PQresultStatus returns 4 (PGRES_COPY_IN)
> PQerrorMessage returns no error.
>
> **An error should have been generated here because we are calling
> PQputCopyData with the incorrect number of columns AND an incorrect format
> for one of the columns.

This is not a bug but improper usage of the API.  In short, both
PQputCopyData and PQputCopyEnd are strictly concerned with data transfer
success/failure.  The data is not guaranteed to be parsed until you attempt
to finish the copy command by executing PQgetResult.

See this earlier discussion for more context and thoughts:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/PQputCopyData-dont-signal-error-td4302340.html#a5798077

David J.