Re: Can postgres run autovacuum tasks when autovacuum is disabled?

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Can postgres run autovacuum tasks when autovacuum is disabled?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Please don't top post

Andrey Zhidenkov wrote
> I run pgctl after making a change and saw in the log that new value of
> "autovacuum" = off
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM, David G Johnston <

> david.g.johnston@

>> wrote:
>
>> Andrey Zhidenkov wrote
>> > I'm confused about this:
>> >
>> > [postgres@srv log]$ grep autovacuum ~/data/postgresql.conf
>> > autovacuum = off # Enable autovacuum subprocess?  'on'
>> > log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0 # -1 disables, 0 logs all actions and
>> > autovacuum_naptime = 10min # time between autovacuum runs
>> >
>> > So, as you can see, autovacuum is disabled now and I could not seen any
>> > autovacuum tasks about few hours. But now
>> > I can see this:
>> >
>> > srv=# select backend_start, query from pg_stat_activity where query
>> ilike
>> > '%vacuum%';
>> >          backend_start         |
>> > query
>> >

>> -------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >  2014-07-29 21:38:42.882383+04 | select backend_start, query from
>> > pg_stat_activity where query ilike '%vacuum%';
>> >  2014-07-30 10:21:51.5511+04   | autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE
>> customer_email
>> >  2014-07-30 10:43:19.49936+04  | autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE cdr_tech
>> > (3 rows)
>> >
>> > The problem is that table cdr_tech is very large (70Gb) and I couldn't
>> > wait
>> > while autovacuum is finished, I would like to run vacuum manually at
>> night
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Whan I do wrong?
>> >
>> > Best regards, Andrey Zhidenkov
>> >
>> >                        _
>> > ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
>> >  against HTML e-mail   X
>> >                       / \
>>
>> The obvious question is whether you sighup/rebooted the server after
>> making
>> the change?
>>
>> It helps to show what your session sees as the current guc value.
>>
>> David J.

It would be nice to see all of the view columns.

I'm also confused how you were able to see into the future...if you can
manage this for a period longer than about 13 hours you might be better off
getting a job on a psychic hotline.

My theory is that the queries you are seeing are those that are already
competed (though then why your own query doesn't show up confuses me).

David J.