Re: PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: PGAdmin for PostgreSQL 9.3 creates tables with double quotes embedded in the name
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
RobR wrote
> I selected the database in PGAdmin, went down to the Tables list (which
> said I had 0 table), right clicked on the word "Tables", and selected "New
> table".  In the new table dialog I entered the table name as Log (no
> quotes)

Enter the table name in lower-case.  If you cannot surround your references
to identifiers with double-quotes in your applications you must define all
identifiers using lower-case only - so that after all identifiers in your
application are converted to lower-case they will match up with those stored
in PostgreSQL .  PgAdmin issues its SQL in such a manner that what you enter
is considered case-sensitive so you must do this manually if you rely on
pgAdmin to perform your DDL.

Note that all pgAdmin does is issue SQL against the database, and the SQL it
issues indeed preserves case by putting identifiers in double-quotes.  Those
quotes, though, are strictly instructive to the parser of whether case is to
be preserved.  Any identifiers lacking quotes are automatically converted to
lower-case first, and then that lower-case identifier is matched against the
database in a literal fashion.

David J.