Re: 9.4 release notes

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: 9.4 release notes
Дата
Re: 9.4 release notes
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund-3 wrote
> On 2014-05-04 08:46:07 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I have completed the initial version of the 9.4 release notes.  You can
>> view them here:
>>
>>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-4.html
>>
>> I will be adding additional markup in the next few days.
>>
>> Feedback expected and welcomed.  I expect to be modifying this until we
>> release 9.4 final.  I have marked items where I need help with question
>> marks.
>
> This time I started reading from the end. I think I've fixed most of the
> questionable things (i.e. ? or FIXMEs) left.
>
> I am not really sure how to rewrite the notes for the logical decoding
> stuff into a more appropriate format for the release notes. Currently it
> seems to describe too many details and not enough overview. It's also
> probably too long.
>
> How about letting it keep it's
> <sect4>
>  but remove the
> <itemizedlist>
>  and
> put a short explanation about the individual parts into a following
> <para>
>  or two? That'd require a name after a
> <sect4>
>  which normally
> isn't done...
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund

Some errors and suggestions - my apologizes for the format as I do not have
a proper patching routine setup.

Patch Review - Top to Bottom (mostly, I think...)

s/constraints's/constraint/ - possessive not needed here, it is a property
of the constraint, not owned by it.

s/plannet/planner

<command>DISCARD ALL</> now also discards the states of sequences.
change to
<command>DISCARD ALL</> now also discards sequence state.

IIUC: Logical decoding allows for streaming of statement-scoped database
changes.

Add function pg_filenode_relation() to more efficiently lookup relations via
their filenode.

This allows one to declare array_agg()-like aggregates using SQL.

IIUC: Remove line length restrictions from pgbench.

These are not in the patch but from my quick scan of the online release
notes - top to bottom:

then conditionally additional adjacent whitespace if not in FX mode
->
then, conditionally, remove additional adjacent whitespace if not in FX
mode.
(I presume those conditions are noted in the documentation somewhere)

For example, previously format string space-space-space would consume only
the first space in ' 12', while it will not consume all three characters.
->
For example, the format string space-space-space previously consumed only
the first space in 'space-space-12' whereas now it will consume all three
characters.

style: add comma -> Previously[,] empty arrays were returned (occurs
frequently but is minor)

style: NULL VARIADIC function arguments are now disallowed
->
Disallow NULL VARIADIC function arguments
(most of the notes are verb-leading in structure)

During immediate shutdown, send uncatchable termination <- kill the comma

In contrast to local_preload_libraries, this parameter can load any shared
library <- shoot the comma

The linking on this one is odd:
Have Windows ASCII-encoded databases and server process (e.g. postmaster)
emit messages in the LC_CTYPE-defined language (Alexander Law, Noah Misch)

Add ROWS FROM() syntax to allow horizontal concatenation of set-returning
functions in the FROM-clause (Andrew Gierth)
-> Maybe a note about using this to avoid least-common-multiple expansion?

Add WITH ORDINALITY syntax which numbers rows returned from FROM-clause
functions
->
Add WITH ORDINALITY syntax to number the rows returned by FROM-clause
functions.

???
DISCARD ALL will now also discard such information.
->
DISCARD ALL now also invokes this command.

be converted to NULL in in CSV mode <- strike one of the "in"s

[I got no clue on this pair... but recommend someone rewrite it]
Improve the internal definition of system relations (Andres Freund, Robert
Haas)
Previously, relations once moved into the system catalog schema could no
longer be modified or dropped.

David J.