Re: looking for doc

От David Johnston
Тема Re: looking for doc
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> David J,
> If the whole purpose of a template is to be a basis for an additional user
> database than what admi tasks are defined in template 1 and template 0
> does matter, because if template 0 would never be used as a db in it's own
> right, it's descendants would be.
> For instance:
> Template 0 does not contain the language encodings and collation settings
> specific to the os on which postgres is running template 1 does, so if you
> want to create a db with language settings other than what is in template
> 1 you would use template 0, and if template 0 does not contain "admin
> tasks" than it would have to be administered manually....

Vacuum is not defined "in" a database; it is a system operation that acts
"on" databases.  It has been told that the database named "template0" is
special and to not waste time on it.

As with any database you can "ALTER DATABASE SET guc = 'value';" though
again you shouldn't do that for template0 and I'm not sure such changes are
copied to new databases if applied to template1.

Language and collation can both be overridden during database creation if
you want something different than what template1 uses.

If you want to continue this discussion please define "admin tasks" (or give
more examples) more completely.  If the only thing you can come up with is
"vacuum" then just say "vacuum".

David J.