Re: Random server overload

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Random server overload
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Viktor Juhanson <spoon@planet.ee> wrote:

> Btw we have the max pool size of web application 50 connections
> and since we have 4 instances of application running  it makes
> max 200.
>
> I don't really get how the database pool gets full when
> application can use 200 connections max and postrgesql config has
> set to 250 max connections ?

If the client application  (or pooler) doesn't close the database
connections gracefully, it might take some time before the server
figures out the connection is dead and frees the resources on the
server side.  Does the server log say anything about broken
connections or client not responding?

Also, the pooler might maintanin some *minimum* number of
connections but go beyond that "on demand".  Without knowing what
pooler and how it is configured, it's hard to say what might be
going on.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com