Re: Is there a "Just Kidding" command?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Is there a "Just Kidding" command?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ) wrote
> So, I just sent a pg_ctl stop command to the wrong db node, and I'm
> wondering if there is a way to take that back?  I ask since I have a long
> running process connecting to it, and I don't want to wait around for it
> to finish up so that the db can stop, then I can start it up again.  Also,
> other requests are now being denied...
>
> Here's hoping.  Maybe the "doh!!" command?

At the admin level, not that I can think of.  In SQL you have the "ROLLBACK"
command....you are using transactions right?

I could see the value in the normal shutdown sequence only blocking incoming
requests until it is ready for the full shutdown sequence and only then
beginning other shutdown actions.  That would provide a window in this
situation to tell the server to "pg_ctl abort_shutdown" and go back to
allowing new connections.  The cost-benefit of such a feature is fairly
small though.

Having done this your decision is to either kill the long-running stuff and
get the reboot over with or let it run and effectively make the server
unavailable for a while but you end up not having to re-do whatever work the
long-running transaction was in the middle of.

David J.