Re: The unused_oids script should have a reminder to use the 8000-8999 OID range

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: The unused_oids script should have a reminder to use the 8000-8999 OID range
Дата
Re: The unused_oids script should have a reminder to use the8000-8999 OID range  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:41 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> But as long as the script
>> tells you how many OIDs are available, what's the problem?  Just run
>> it again if you want a different suggestion, or make your own choice.

> Right. Besides, adding something along the lines Michael described
> necessitates fixing the problems that it creates. We'll run out of
> blocks of 5 contiguous OIDs (or whatever) far sooner than we'll run
> out of single OIDs.

Well, if we ever get even close to that situation, this whole approach
isn't really gonna work.  My estimate is that in any one development
cycle we'll commit order-of-a-couple-dozen patches that consume new OIDs.
In that context you'd be just unlucky to get an OID suggestion that
doesn't have dozens to hundreds of free OIDs after it.  (If the rate
of manually-assigned-OID consumption were any faster than that, we'd
have filled up the 1-10K space long since.)

Сообщение: Re: Recent failures in IsolationCheck deadlock-hard
Сообщение: Re: Recent failures in IsolationCheck deadlock-hard