Re: pgsql: Implement a preliminary 'template' facility for procedural

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Implement a preliminary 'template' facility for procedural
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
>> For now the template data is hard-wired in proclang.c --- this
>> should be replaced later by a new shared system catalog, but we
>> don't want to force initdb during 8.1 beta.

> Wouldn't beta be the time to do it?  I know we define initdb-forcing
> changes to mean a major version bump, but I also thought that beta was
> a time to find the places where such changes make sense.  Has there
> been a guarantee that beta means "no initdb" in previous releases?

No, but we avoid initdb after beta1 when we can.  Our long-suffering
beta testers don't need to be whacked around unnecessarily.

If something comes along that forces an initdb (for instance, we find
something wrong with ROLEs that can't be fixed without a catalog change)
then I'll think hard about pushing in the additional changes to create a
pltemplate system catalog.  But it seemed easier to sell the idea as a
non-initdb-forcing change ...