Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- straw poll

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- straw poll
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote
> On 26 June 2013 03:17, Josh Berkus <

> josh@

> > wrote:
>> How should reviewers get credited in the release notes?
>>
>> a) not at all
>> b) in a single block titled "Reviewers for this version" at the bottom.
>> c) on the patch they reviewed, for each patch

I think some consideration toward a "commit and review summary" (outside the
release notes; and graphical/interactive in nature ideally) for each major
release is something worth considering.  With regards to the release notes
I'd lean toward (b); significant contributions getting bumped to co-author
on specific patches covers (c) fairly well.  I am unsure whether release
note mentions are significant enough motivation...see other thoughts below.

>> Should there be a criteria for a "creditable" review?
>>
>> a) no, all reviews are worthwhile
>> b) yes, they have to do more than "it compiles"
>> c) yes, only code reviews should count

Ideally (a) though (b) conceptually makes sense but it is too generic.

>> Should reviewers for 9.4 get a "prize", such as a t-shirt, as a
>> promotion to increase the number of non-submitter reviewers?
>>
>> a) yes
>> b) no
>> c) yes, but submitters and committers should get it too

One low-cost "prize" that I've pondered is, on an ongoing basis, the ability
to post a link and/or message to the PostgreSQL front page within a
significantly less stringent barrier to "acceptance" than is required for
current content.  Basically except for topics or presentations deemed of
poor taste or detrimental to the project anything should be allowed.  Some
kind of "this message was allowed because so-and-so has recently made the
following significant contributions to the project".  There are probably
quite a few logistics to deal with down this path but a sponsor platform for
shameless self-promotion for people making the project successful -
something visible on an ongoing basis and not just once a year in a release
note - is likely a very valuable to the contributor while fairly inexpensive
to the project (i.e., some risk of reputation and some cost to setup the
infrastructure).

David J.