Re: FE/BE Protocol - Specific version

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: FE/BE Protocol - Specific version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
>> So, being able to stop connections trying to use old protocol versions
>> would be very helpful in this case.

> Wouldn't it be better to have StORE run a select version() after
> connecting?

Well, his point is that old versions of his client code wouldn't know to
do that.  However, I don't think that what he's suggesting is a suitable
answer either --- he wants to rely on a chance coincidence, namely that
we're upgrading the FE/BE protocol at the same time that he wants to
make an incompatible application-level change.

What I'd do, if I wanted to lock out old clients from accessing
particular tables, is just rename the tables to something else.
(Or keep using the same names, but put the tables in a schema or
database that old clients won't look in.)  The clients wouldn't fail
very gracefully, perhaps, but the protocol-level hack doesn't qualify
as graceful in my book either ...