Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rajeev rastogi <rajeev.rastogi@huawei.com> writes:
> On 11 March 2014 19:52, Tom Lane wrote:
>> After sleeping on it, I'm inclined to think we should continue to not
>> print status for COPY TO STDOUT.  Aside from the risk of breaking
>> scripts, there's a decent analogy to be made to SELECT: we don't print
>> a status tag for that either.

> It is correct that SELECT does not print conventional way of status tag but still it prints the number
> of rows selected (e.g. (2 rows)) along with rows actual value, which can be very well considered
> as kind of status. User can make out with this result, that how many rows have been selected.

> But in-case of COPY TO STDOUT, if we don't print anything, then user does not have any direct way of finding
> that how many rows were copied from table to STDOUT, which might have been very useful.

Uh, you mean other than the data rows that were just printed?  I fail
to see how this is much different from the SELECT case:

regression=# \copy int8_tbl to stdout
123     456
123     4567890123456789
4567890123456789        123
4567890123456789        4567890123456789
4567890123456789        -4567890123456789
regression=#

(Note that I'm defining TO STDOUT from psql's perspective, ie the rows are
going to the queryFout file, which is the same place the COPY status would
get printed to.)