Re: Excessive space allocations in Postgresql 9.1.6 system files causing the file system to run out of space.

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Excessive space allocations in Postgresql 9.1.6 system files causing the file system to run out of space.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"fburgess@radiantblue.com" <fburgess@radiantblue.com> wrote:=0A=0A> We have=
 a Postgres database that was recently upgraded from 8.4.3=0A> to 9.1.6.=A0=
 We have noticed unusual growth in the data files and=0A> generated a scrip=
t to perform the following actions.=0A=0A> 1. Query pg_class for all record=
s=0A> 2. Generate a file listing of all postgres data files=0A> 3. Compare =
the two lists and eliminate all files that are=0A>=A0=A0=A0 contained withi=
n pg_class=0A> =0A> There are 17359 data files.=A0 After running the script=
, there are=0A> 5802 data files remaining that are not listed in pg_class.=
=A0 Due=0A> to the size of the (5802) data files (~4TB), I am not comfortab=
le=0A> about deleting them from the file system.=A0 Does postgres 9.1.6=0A>=
 catalog every data file in pg_class?=A0=A0 Or does it leave some data=0A> =
files off of this table?=A0 If so, how can I determine if I have=0A> stale,=
 unnecessary data files on my file system?=0A=0AYeah, it's good to be cauti=
ous -- deleting a needed file can render=0Ayour database cluster unusable.=
=A0 Be sure you have a good backup you=0Acan go back to if you delete the w=
rong thing.=0A=0AWhat directories are you looking in?=0A=0AFor a database o=
r tablespace directory, are you excluding all files=0Awhich start with a fi=
lename you derived from pg_class and has a dot=0Aor underscore followed by =
more characters?=0A=0A--=0AKevin Grittner=0AEnterpriseDB: http://www.enterp=
risedb.com=0AThe Enterprise PostgreSQL Company