size of .po changesets

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема size of .po changesets
Дата
Re: size of .po changesets
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of jue ago 23 11:01:05 -0400 2012:

> $ git diff --shortstat REL9_0_9 REL9_1_5
>  3186 files changed, 314847 insertions(+), 210452 deletions(-)
> $ git diff --shortstat REL9_1_5 REL9_2_BETA4
>  2037 files changed, 290919 insertions(+), 189487 deletions(-)
>
> However, when you look at things a bit closer, these numbers are
> misleading because they include the .po files, which seem to have huge
> inter-branch churn --- well in excess of 100000 lines changed per
> release, at least in git's simpleminded view.

Yeah, IMHO .po files are handled pretty badly by SCMs.  I wonder if we
could reduce the amount of git churn caused by those files by simply
removing all comment lines from these files as they are exported from
pgtranslation into postgresql.git?  Since they are not "source" for
postgresql.git anyway, the other one being the canonical repository,
there doesn't seem to be any point to those lines ... or am I mistaken?