Re: retrieving function raise messages in ecpg embedded sql code

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: retrieving function raise messages in ecpg embedded sql code
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 21:35 +0000, Haszlakiewicz, Eric wrote:
> I'm trying to get some additional information back from a trigger to my embedded SQL
> program, to essentially emulate Informix's way of generating serial values.
> I can get the serial to be generated, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the
> generated value back to my program with minimal changes to the SQL.

Have you already looked at INSERT...RETURNING?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-insert.html

> I can't figure out how to retrieve the message raised by the trigger.  I know it's
> available in some cases, because I see the message when I insert a row through psql,
> but even things like this:
>    printf("%s\n", PQerrorMessage(ECPGget_PGconn(mydb)));
>
> return nothing useful.  Is there a way to get this information?

Yes, these messages are delivered via notice processing (not to be
confused with LISTEN/NOTIFY):

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/libpq-notice-processing.html

Regards,
    Jeff Davis