Re: JSON in 9.2 - Could we have just one to_json() function instead of two separate versions ?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: JSON in 9.2 - Could we have just one to_json() function instead of two separate versions ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net> wrote:
> >> Can we at least have the xxx_to_json() functions try cast to json first
> >> and fall back to text if the cast fails.
>
> > I think the idea that you can involve the casting machinery in this is
> > misguided.

> It is possible that that can be made to work, but it's a research
> project, not something to be crammed into 9.2 at the last possible
> minute.  In any case, I really dislike the idea that array_to_json
> and row_to_json would contain two entirely different behaviors.
> Leave the extensibility ideas for a future to_json() function.

I did not mean that array_to_json and row_to_json would be different
than the generic to_json, just that they would be thin wrappers around
the to_json function which check that the arguments are of the correct
types for casting to "JSON text".

They need to recurse to each other and generic to_json anyway.

--
-------
Hannu Krosing