Re: Changing Passwords as Encrypted not Clear-Text

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Changing Passwords as Encrypted not Clear-Text
Re: Changing Passwords as Encrypted not Clear-Text
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 15:01 +0200, MURAT KOÇ wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> When I try to change my db password like below SQL statement from psql or
> pgAdmin tool, it outputs to server logs as like this:
>
>  *postgres=# alter user mkoc password 'dummy';
> ALTER ROLE
> postgres=# alter user mkoc with password 'dummy';
> ALTER ROLE
> *
>
> ### Server Logs ###
> 2011-12-19 14:35:31
> EET--postgres--postgres--[local]--psql--idle--00000LOG:  statement: alter
> user mkoc password 'dummy';
> 2011-12-19 14:35:41
> EET--postgres--postgres--[local]--psql--idle--00000LOG:  statement: alter
> user mkoc with password 'dummy';
>
> So, an OS user who can access to server log files can read DB users'
> clear-text passwords from these logs. In my opinion, this is a big security
> gap.
>
> I don't want to see these changing password logs in clear-text. These
> logs must be encrypted passwords instead of clear-text like below:
>
>  *Server Logs must be;
> *2011-12-19 14:35:31
> EET--postgres--postgres--[local]--psql--idle--00000LOG:  statement: alter
> user mkoc password *values 'XFADIT9248fDSKFD';*
> **
> Is it possible to see changing passwords as encrypted?

Nope.

>  How should I change password or what is the correct sql statement to change user password?

There's only one way to change a password: ALTER USER... PASSWORD...

You have to trust the people who have access to the PostgreSQL logs. I
you don't trust them, you should deny access to the logs for them.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info