Re: Vacuum explained -> Dangerous ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Vacuum explained -> Dangerous ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Gaetano Mendola" <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:
> This mean that if a process do a "begin transaction" and stay there one
> month without
> activity all row delete or updated after that "begin transaction" remain
> there for ever ?

Actually not, because the transaction does not start internally
(MyProc->xmin doesn't get set) until its first real statement begins.
However, if you do something like
    begin;
    select 2+2;
and *then* go to sleep for a long time, then yes you will block vacuum
from reclaiming space.

Also, I believe the value of now() is frozen when you say "begin",
so I'd still say it's not good practice to "begin" until you're ready to
actually do something ...