Re: "external indices" ...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: "external indices" ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> "Currently used with Oracle databases thru their Extensible
>> Indexing Cartridge.
>> What we are interested in is finding out whether or not we can use our
>> technology directly with PostgreSQL.  That would involve, from a overly
>> simplistic view, allowing Postgres to use external indexes."

> Does that help any?

Well, I spent a little time googling on this, and dug through Oracle
documents that seem to have been written by marketroids who think
"componentize" is a verb :-( ... but by the time my brain went numb,
I hadn't actually seen anything that hasn't been in Postgres for years.

What you need to make clear to them is that their existing code base
isn't likely to be worth a dime --- if they don't mind recoding, the
functionality is probably all there, but there will not be any
compatibility of details.  There are no standards covering this stuff.