Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....

От Manuel Lemos
Тема Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Ed,

On 24-Apr-00 17:10:21, you wrote:

>Manuel Lemos wrote:
>>
>> >Plus if you get a warning/error, Postgresql _requires_ you to rollback,
>> >whereas many other databases don't.
>>
>> That's what Metabase expects. When there is an error, you should rollback
>> before exiting a transaction with AutoCommit(Off).
>>
>> I noticed the discussion but I could not quite figure what was the problem.

>The problem on this, from my perspective, is that if you have a transaction
>that consists of 20 queries, and the 14th query fails, then you'd like to
>be able to abort only the *statement*, recovering in the client application
>in whatever way seems appropriate.  Automatically *forcing* a rollback
>takes that recovery choice away.

The problem is that PostgreSQL lacks of transactions check points with which
you could do what you want.  That doesn't mean that transactions work
differently from other DBMS.  There's just only one check point to rollback:
the transaction begining.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Web Programming Components using PHP Classes.
Look at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/?user=mlemos@acm.org
--
E-mail: mlemos@acm.org
PGP key: http://www.mlemos.e-na.net/ManuelLemos.pgp