Re: Who is causing all this i/o?

От Shianmiin
Тема Re: Who is causing all this i/o?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tom Lane-2 wrote:

> What's not apparent however is why the stats collector is writing disk
> so much.  8.4 does have the logic change to not write stats out unless
> something is asking to see them.  So either it's really pre-8.4, or you
> have a monitoring task that is constantly asking to see stats.

We have a PostgreSQL 9.0.4 on CentOs for performance testing and we are
seeing the similar issue.
we have a "crazy" setup it has 1 database with 1000 identical schemas. There
are occasional I/O write storm
of over 100 MB/sec without any disk reads, and it could last for a couple of
minutes when the schemas/data are aggressively populated by pg_restore. All
the io writes seem to be on pgstat.tmp.

The I/O write storm seemed to be trigger by Vacuum.

The way we get around that is to point stats_temp_directory to ram disk
which eliminates the I/O write storm effectively.

Is it an issue of specific usage scenario or a general issue to be resolved?