Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of mié may 25 17:04:03 -0400 2011:

> Sure.  Simon's command string idea might work better, and doing some
> extra lock decoration as you suggested in the above thread would be
> another level of improvement.  We should pick up redesign later on the
> main list.  You can at least count me in as someone who wants to see
> this improved now.

Great

> Back to the doc patch I submitted...is that a useful step toward making
> this issue visible enough to users for now to help?

Sure, why not?  I thought I could choose my bikeshed color while I was
here, how about

+    second and third transaction.  All active transactions at the time the
+    second table scan starts, not just ones that already involve the table,
+    have the potential to block the concurrent index creation until they
+    finish.  When checking for transactions that
+    could still use the original index, concurrent index creation advances
+    through potentially interfering older transactions one at a time,
+    obtaining shared locks on their virtual transaction identifiers to wait for
+    them to complete.

Сообщение: Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Сообщение: Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY