Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow

От Bernhard Schrader
Тема Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 13:12 -0500 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> Bernhard Schrader wrote:

> > > Uh, well, I assume that the person has already shut down all db
> > > connections, and opened it only for super-users.  If the system is not
> > > shutting down, that should signal to the user that they have not locked
> > > down the system properly.  We would not want someone to connect during
> > > pg_upgrade processing, and doing -m fast is not going to help with that.
> > >
> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
> > >   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
> > >
> > >   + It's impossible for everything to be true. +
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > well, i shut down every client connection that could occur, but with a
> > ps auxf i get following output:
> >
> > postgres 26255 0.0 0.0 426396 2044 ? Ss 14:21 0:00 \_ postgres: writer
> > process
> > postgres 26257 0.0 0.0 154368 1616 ? Ss 14:21 0:00 \_ postgres: stats
> > collector process
> > postgres 26258 0.0 0.1 427612 4188 ? Ss 14:21 0:00 \_ postgres: grepo
> > DB_NAME LOCAL_IP(PORT) idle
> >
> > so there are some connections, but as far as i can say, nothing from a
> > client program, these connections belong to postgres itself??!? is that
> > possible? pg_upgrade has to check the tables anyway, so there must be
> > this connection, or am i wrong?!?
>
> The first two are normal processes you will see when you start Postgres.
> That last one looks odd --- did you mask it somehow?  That looks like an
> active idle connection for user 'grepo'.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>   + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

good hint, thanks a lot.

Well, I stopped all services, also a java daemon which connects to the
db as this user. the init skript told me that the javaserver was shut
down properly, but it didnt, kill -9 helped here. after that i tried the
shutdown again and it worked well. :)

thanks a lot so far, now i can migrate all of our dbs :)

regards
Bernhard