Re: Data duplication when moving datafiles from one server to another.

От Iñigo Martinez Lasala
Тема Re: Data duplication when moving datafiles from one server to another.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Kevin, Scott.

Thank you for your response.

Data duplication happened on source server (that is, on production environment). This data duplication affected only on some tables, with some duplicated PKs and altered sequences (sequences value didn't match "select max()" and we had to fix it manually).
Postgres version is 8.2.7 64bit on Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS

Rsync command was:
rsync -avt -lHpogDtx /srv/postgresql/8.2/main/ root@destination_server:/srv/postgresql/8.2/main/

and was launched from source server.

Remember: source server was running.

If rsync sentence was launched correctly (I assume yes), could a temporary lock over a checkpoint segment cause this behaviour?

We have managed to delete duplicated registers and restore incorrect sequences, but I don't really know what happened. Since I've been indirect responsable from this (sysadmin reports me) I need to clarify the cause. I need an valid explanation for our client.