Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Дата
Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:07 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:

> >> That's just not the same thing.
> >
> > In what important ways does it differ?
>
> When you have one server functioning at each site you'll block until
> you get a third machine back, rather than replicating to both sites
> and remaining functional.

And that is so important a consideration that you would like to move
from one parameter in one file to a whole set of parameters, set
differently in 5 separate files? Is it a common use case that people
have more than 3 separate servers for one application, which is where
the difference shows itself.

Another check: does specifying replication by server in such detail mean
we can't specify robustness at the transaction level? If we gave up that
feature, it would be a great loss for performance tuning.

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services