Re: bg worker: overview

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: bg worker: overview
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Jaime Casanova's message of jue jul 15 15:51:10 -0400 2010:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> >
> > However, note that the coordinator is designed to be just a message
> > passing or routing process, which should not do any kind of time
> > consuming processing. It must *coordinate* things (well, jobs) and react
> > promptly. Nothing else.
>
> so, merging this with the autovacuum will drop our hopes of having a
> time based autovacuum?

I don't think so, but I didn't know we had hopes for time-based
autovacuum.  What exactly do you mean?

Initially there were some thoughts on schedule-based autovacuum
parameters, but it seems that interest has dropped for that feature, so
I haven't pushed much for that.  However, I don't think that this patch
series affects that in any way.

BTW I think this patch series makes sense, though I haven't looked at it
in detail.  I guess it means I'll have to have a look at the IMessages
stuff as well.