Re: 6 SCSI Disks RAID 10 x 2 SCSI DISKS RAID1 + 4 SCSI Disks RAID 10

От Iñigo Martinez Lasala
Тема Re: 6 SCSI Disks RAID 10 x 2 SCSI DISKS RAID1 + 4 SCSI Disks RAID 10
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I think it's better to put all disk in a RAID10. Your max throughput with 6 disks will be a 50% better that with 4 disks, and operating system once booted, does not have to read/write but a few times.

I would divide RAID volume in several partitions: at least, operating system (/), swap and database (/srv/database) and better another for homes (/homes). Optionally, another one for logfiles (/var/log).

That's my suggestion.  Perhaps somebody has another point of view, but I prefer to rely in RAID controller and not in putting database stuff in separated disks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Renato Oliveira <renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk>
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
Subject: [ADMIN] 6 SCSI Disks RAID 10 x 2 SCSI DISKS RAID1 + 4 SCSI Disks RAID 10
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:10:49 +0100

Good afternoon Guys,

I have been reading about RAID for PostgreSQL and some suggestions are:

6 SCSI Disks RAID10 for OS and DB

Or

2 SCSI Disks RAID 1 for OS + 4 SCSI RAID 10 for DB

I know the more spindles you have the better, but if you are going to be reading and writing to the same volume with a single controller, how good that will be?

How do you guys have  your RAIDS setup?

Thank you

Renato

  Renato Oliveira
Systems Administrator
e-mail: renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk   Tel: +44 (0)1763 260811
Fax: +44 (0)1763 262410
www.grant.co.uk   Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd

Company registered in England, registration number 658133

Registered office address:
29 Station Road,
Shepreth,
CAMBS SG8 6GB
UK

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential. It is intended only for the named recipients(s). If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.
VIRUSES: The contents of this e-mail or attachment(s) may contain viruses which could damage your own computer system. Whilst Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment(s).
OpenXML: For information about the OpenXML file format in use within Grant Instruments please visit our website