Re: 8.3 RC1 - Logging and filenames

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 8.3 RC1 - Logging and filenames
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Andy Shellam" <andy.shellam-lists@mailnetwork.co.uk> writes:
> What I want PostgreSQL to do is put a log file "postgresql.log" in
> "/var/log/pgsql" - I have an application that handles log rotations, so
> would prefer to do it with that, rather than have PostgreSQL do the
> rotation.

You don't really have any choice about the matter --- Postgres will not
use a single fixed filename because that would be guaranteed to lose log
entries across a rotation.

> I would have thought my config shown below would have made this happen, but
> it doesn't appear so.  Instead PostgreSQL creates a file called "
> postgresql.log.1200003749" in /var/log/pgsql.

> Best of it is, I cannot work out what those numbers mean.

Per the documentation, Postgres appends the Unix epoch of the file's
creation time if the given pattern hasn't got any %-escapes.
Looks like that corresponds to Thu Jan 10 2008, 17:22:29 EST.