Re: Hot Standby and handling max_standby_delay

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Hot Standby and handling max_standby_delay
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 18:20 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 11:37 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> > > I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to put in a plugin for
> > > recovery conflict handling, so the user can decide what to do
> > > themselves. That seems like a better plan than chewing through these
> > > issues now.
> >
> > Making it a plugin doesn't solve anything.  This is not the kind of
> > thing where people can come up with some random policy and it will
> > work well.  Anyone competent to invent a better policy would be quite
> > capable of modifying the source to suit themselves.
>
> Agreed, with some regrets.

Although I agree in principle, I have to say that a plugin might make
sense. Yes... the person is good enough to modify the code, but should
they? A plugin allows them to make those decisions without running a
custom code base for core.

Just a thought.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.