Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Список pgsql-general
On 8 Prosinec 2011, 12:24, Craig Ringer wrote:
> - admission control, queuing and resource limiting to optimally load a
> machine. Some limited level is possible with external pooling, but only by
> limiting concurrent workers.

The first thing I'd like to see is "user profiles" - being able to set
things like work_mem, synchronous_commit, etc. on per-user basis
separately.

> - performance monitoring and diagnostics. It's way harder to find out
> what's causing load on a busy Pg server or report on frequent/expensive
> queries etc. Tooling is limited and fairly primitive. It's find, but
> nowhere near as powerful and easy as some if the other DBs.

True. Greg Smith actually mentioned this as one of the frequently asked
features in his post about two weeks ago
(http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/en/2011/11/global-trends-in-deploying-pos.html).
I've started to build my own tool and got it somehow working for my needs,
and there are other tools available, but none of them is really a complete
solution. Would be nice to form a dev group that would work on this.

> - prioritisation of queries or users. It's hard to say "prefer this query
> over this one, give it more resources" or "user A's work always preempts
> user B's" in Pg.

I wonder if the prioritisation could be done using nice - each backend is
a separate process, so why not to do 'nice(10)' for low priority processes
or something like that.

Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?