Re: SHOW TABLES

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:50 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 17:38 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>>> Looks like the last time this was discussed, there wasn't any clear
>>> conclusion.  Someone created a patch and it's still on the TODO list:
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01845.php
>>
>> That one is about:
>> a) doing it in psql., not the backend
>> b) not actually implementing the command, but implementing hints for
>> the user telling them which is the correct command
>>
>> Is there an actual common use-case for having these commands available
>> for *non-psql* interfaces?
>
> Yes. We should provide a single, well described grammar for interacting
> with objects in the database regardless of client. I should be able to
> open ANY SQL terminal, and type SHOW ME THE MONEY and have Benjamins
> fall out.

Damn straight.  I like \d as well as anyone but there are real problems with it. Perhaps when we add \dxrvbfqS$: we'll
stopto reflect on what they are.

Having said that, I want to urge that we spend a suitable amount of time and thought and care designing this, lest it
turninto a mess.  I have no interest in slamming something through without adequate consideration.

...Robert