Re: Long update progress

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Long update progress
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Andy Marden" <amarden@usa.net> writes:
> We have an database batch update process running. It runs normally and takes
> around 6 hours. This is dealing with a much larger data set after an error
> correction. It's been running for 6 days now and people are getting twitchy
> that it might not finish. Is there any way (accepting that more preparation
> would, in retrospect, have been better) to tell how far we're got. This
> iterates round a cursor and updates individual rows. The trouble is it
> commits once at the end.

> The ideal would be to find a way of doing a dirty read against the table
> that is bing updated. Then we'd know how many rows had been processed.

A quick and dirty answer is just to watch the physical file for the
table being updated, and see how fast it's growing.

If you're using 7.2 then the contrib/pgstattuple function would let you
get more accurate info (note it will count not-yet-committed tuples as
"dead", which is a tad misleading, but at least it counts 'em).