Re: Parallel safety of CURRENT_* family

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Parallel safety of CURRENT_* family
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Parallel safety of CURRENT_* family  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> ... well, they would be if we passed down xactStartTimestamp to parallel
>> workers, but I can't find any code that does that.  In view of the fact that
>> transaction_timestamp() is marked as parallel-safe, this is a bug in 9.6.

> Yeah.  Do you think we should arrange to pass that down, or change the marking?

We can't fix the marking in existing 9.6 installations, so I think we
have to pass it down.  (Which would be a better response anyway.)

Having said that, I find myself unable to reproduce a problem.
This should fail:

regression=# set parallel_setup_cost TO 0;
SET
regression=# set parallel_tuple_cost TO 0;
SET
regression=# set min_parallel_relation_size TO 0;
SET
regression=# set enable_indexscan TO 0;
SET
regression=# explain verbose select distinct transaction_timestamp() from tenk1;
QUERYPLAN
width=8) Output: (transaction_timestamp())  ->  Gather  (cost=0.00..424.67 rows=10000 width=8)        Output:
(transaction_timestamp())       Workers Planned: 2        ->  Parallel Seq Scan on public.tenk1  (cost=0.00..410.08
rows=4167width=8)              Output: transaction_timestamp()
(7 rows)

but it doesn't:

regression=# select distinct transaction_timestamp() from tenk1;    transaction_timestamp
-------------------------------2016-12-01 15:44:12.839417-05
(1 row)

How is that happening?