AW: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> As I mentioned already I'm implementing updatable cursors
> in ODBC and have half done it. If OIDs would be optional
> my trial loses its validity but I would never try another
> implementation.

But how can you do that ? The oid index is only created by
the dba for specific tables, thus your update would do an update
with a where restriction, that is not indexed.
This would be darn slow, no ?

How about instead selecting the primary key and one of the tid's
(I never remember which, was it ctid ?) instead, so you can validate
when a row changed between the select and the update ?

Andreas