AW: Repost: Get table/field-identifiers in uppercase

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: Repost: Get table/field-identifiers in uppercase
Дата
Re: Repost: Get table/field-identifiers in uppercase  (Klaus Reger <K.Reger@wwwdb.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> When a new table or field is created without quotes, it is assumed to be
> case-insensitive. Herefore I have some questions:
>
> - Is it SQL-92-conform to handle >"test"< like >test< without quotes, or
> shouldn't it be >test< forced to lowercase?

I do not understand this question. If you want case sensitivity, you need
to quote your identifiers. Unquoted identifiers are case insensitive.
I do not think the standard states what should happen when you start mixing
quoted and unquoted identifiers for the same object.

> - Oracle returns this no_matter_what-case_it_is-fields with
> uppercase-letters. Is it possible for Postgresql, to imitate this behaviour?

No. PostgreSQL stores them in all lower case (Informix also).

> - How is the handling of case-sensitivity handled in the system-catalogs? Is
> ther any flag or depends it on the name of the object only?

The unquoted identifier is converted to all lower case, no flag.
The quoted identifier is taken as is.

Andreas