Re: Column as arrays.. more efficient than columns?

От Ow Mun Heng
Тема Re: Column as arrays.. more efficient than columns?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 00:18 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 09/06/07 21:26, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I've not arrived at any conclusion but merely
> > exploring my options on which way would be the best to thread. I'm
> > asking the list because I'm new in PG and after reading all those
> > articles on highscalability etc.. majority of them are all using some
> > kind of denormalised tables.
>
> Correlation != causation.
>
> There *might* be a causal relationship between high scalability and
> table denormalization, but I seriously doubt it.

I can't refute you on this since I have no experience in this arena,
only what I read in highscalbility.com (IIRC)

> > Right now, there's 8 million rows of data in this one table, and growing
> > at a rapid rate of ~2 million/week. I can significantly reduce this
> > number down to 200K (i think by denormalising it) and shrink the table
> > size.
>
> Even presuming you only insert data SIX hours per day, that's only
> 13.3 inserts per second.  Not very impressive.

Data is inserted 24 hours a day, but not at the same rate each
sec/minute. The problem isn't really the data-insertion, it's already
inserted in a normalised manner. It's the selection of data. (OLTP
datahouse) which takes a longer time and which is the area of worry.