Re: PostgreSQL and virtualization

От Adam Tauno Williams
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and virtualization
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>    I'd like to do some tests with replication, high availability, ...
> with PostgreSQL. The problem I have is I don't have enough hardware to
> do such tests, so I'd like to use virtualization. I'd like to do it
> using linux. Nowadays there several products to do it Xen, Qemu, VMware,
> ... and I don't have any experience with any of them. Anybody has tried
> anything like this?

Sure,  I host PostgreSQL on vmware-server.  As far as PostgreSQL or any
application is concerned - it makes no difference at all - which is the
point of virtualization.   I'd recommend vmware-server because it is (a)
free and (b) much more mature compared to the other two.  The price of
virtualization is slower I/O so for high loads you need (1) more RAM
[never a bad thing anyway] and (2) emphasis on a good I/O subsystem
[also never a bad thing].